Interesting weather information pertaining mostly to south Florida.

Monday, August 11, 2008

New Systems in the Atlantic

As we approach the middle of August we are seeing activity ramp up in the Atlantic. The most notable is currently know as 92L. This system has become a bit better organized during the afternoon and evening. If this trend continues then the NHC may send a plane out tomorrow afternoon. Below is the current model map from The Weather Underground.

This is also an area of disturbed area west of this system and an area in the southern Gulf of Mexico. I will continue to watch these areas.

Locally we had almost an inch of rain here at weather central and it appears we may see another round of storms tomorrow afternoon. This was our third afternoon in a row of strong thunderstorms sweeping across the area from the west in the afternoon, today's rainfall was the greatest of the days.

Finally I would like to address a couple of comments about my blog. Some of you have asked why I do not update more frequently or at least on a regular basis. Time is the biggest challenge to posting. I work two jobs and have a great family, all of whom know how much I enjoy studying meteorology and sharing it with others. I do use my Twitter feed for quick and short updates but sometimes there is just not enough time.

I would like to share two blogs that I read on a very regular basis that can fill the gap when I am not around. The first one is from the Weather Underground. Dr. Jeff Master's shares a lot of information and I only wish I could compare this to what he does. The second is a almost daily discussion posted at Crown Weather. Again a very thorough run down of the tropics. Please check them out and bookmark them. You can also find the link on the right side of this page.

Have a good night.

No comments: