Interesting weather information pertaining mostly to south Florida.

Thursday, January 18, 2007

It Was 30 Years Ago Today (Jan. 19, 1977)

SNOW in Florida. Southeast Florida that is. I can still remember my Mom telling me to go outside and see it. I think I was watching "Captain Kangaroo" and was sick from school that very cold (by Florida standards) day. There was so much excitement about it, though I did not completely understand it. I think it was the first event that did trigger the weather bug in me though.

Since then I can think of only one other time snow was in the forecast for the area, December 24, 1988. The day could be wrong but I did remember a lot of ice that morning and I know I have pictures of that freeze around here somewhere.

Snow in 1977 did not really accumulate but was present in mostly all areas, Miami Beach, Homestead and even the Bahamas. I will post some links tomorrow when the become active from the local papers. In the meantime here is an information statement from the NWSFO in Miami about this great event.

Now back to our springtime winter. where just before midnight it is currently 72F with another warm weekend ahead.

No comments: